Review: tales of the MADMAN underground: An Historical Romance 1973
By John Barnes

Annotation:
John Barnes has written a lot books. One of them I read is" TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND" a non-genre for young adult that should not be missed by book lovers. There are several girls in Karl Shoemaker's life, and while he basically ends up with one the rest are still there. Since eighth grade, Karl has been in a school's therapy group, He was tired of being called "Psycho" though he hopes if he can act like any ordinary kid until halloween, we will avoid getting put in therapy altogether. To be honest, TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND is all over the place. All of the members of the Madman Underground, the school therapy group, do have serious issues. Those issues are given the weight they deserve even while mocking the therapy the kids are offered. Karl's decided he's going to act normal for a week, so that he won't get sent to therapy this year. Then he'll go the week after that, taking things one bit at a time. It's hard when things at home haven't let up - his mother's still an alcoholic who steals the money he saves for after he leaves the army. He's working too much to sleep well, and that takes a toll too. Plus, Karl just isn't the kind of a person to ignore his friends when they need him. And the madmen . . . they need him. He's also got instant chemistry with new girl Marti, which gives him another connection that's not "normal" since she's a new madman.
Justification for nomination:
This book is funny, irreverent, heart-breaking, hopeful, and utterly absorbing. It' has too many details that are sharp and well observed. Karl's addict mom bounces between childish manipulation, whining self pity, and half hearted stabs at being a real parent. When Karl want to deal with her, it is with a mix of angry at how she acts. I love Karl's cynical narration. I love that he's been hardened by life but he's still the kind of guy who would do anything for his friends. Even though he's trying not to be that guy because it would ruin his life getting out of therapy. I love that he is messed up and knows it but still tries his hardest. He's got motivation. And though he wouldn't like to think about it. .I also like the supporting he was getting from other characters like Paul, who picks up men in his drum major uniform. Cheryl, who has the world's creepiest family but still manages a full social life. Darla, who's scary, awesome and fascinating. And Marti, who's really just as nice as Karl. (This could go on for awhile. There are loads of characters, all magnificent. Except maybe the super super ladies.
I have to admit: I wanted to read this from the moment I got it. However, I really didn't know what I was getting when I opened it. I wish every book I picked up blew me away like this one. Barnes may like writing better, and I sure am giving those a chance, but I hope he has another YA in him. If all he gives us is TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND, I will be satisfied. Step into Karl's shoes for a week. You won't want to take them off when you turn the last page.
Seriously, the cover picture will take you to Amazon, where you can pre-order it. I must admit that, I haven't finish the entire book, however, I must take time reading it a long. I also would recommend this book to others and take a look at it.
Cheers
Lul

Annotation:
John Barnes has written a lot books. One of them I read is" TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND" a non-genre for young adult that should not be missed by book lovers. There are several girls in Karl Shoemaker's life, and while he basically ends up with one the rest are still there. Since eighth grade, Karl has been in a school's therapy group, He was tired of being called "Psycho" though he hopes if he can act like any ordinary kid until halloween, we will avoid getting put in therapy altogether. To be honest, TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND is all over the place. All of the members of the Madman Underground, the school therapy group, do have serious issues. Those issues are given the weight they deserve even while mocking the therapy the kids are offered. Karl's decided he's going to act normal for a week, so that he won't get sent to therapy this year. Then he'll go the week after that, taking things one bit at a time. It's hard when things at home haven't let up - his mother's still an alcoholic who steals the money he saves for after he leaves the army. He's working too much to sleep well, and that takes a toll too. Plus, Karl just isn't the kind of a person to ignore his friends when they need him. And the madmen . . . they need him. He's also got instant chemistry with new girl Marti, which gives him another connection that's not "normal" since she's a new madman.
Justification for nomination:
This book is funny, irreverent, heart-breaking, hopeful, and utterly absorbing. It' has too many details that are sharp and well observed. Karl's addict mom bounces between childish manipulation, whining self pity, and half hearted stabs at being a real parent. When Karl want to deal with her, it is with a mix of angry at how she acts. I love Karl's cynical narration. I love that he's been hardened by life but he's still the kind of guy who would do anything for his friends. Even though he's trying not to be that guy because it would ruin his life getting out of therapy. I love that he is messed up and knows it but still tries his hardest. He's got motivation. And though he wouldn't like to think about it. .I also like the supporting he was getting from other characters like Paul, who picks up men in his drum major uniform. Cheryl, who has the world's creepiest family but still manages a full social life. Darla, who's scary, awesome and fascinating. And Marti, who's really just as nice as Karl. (This could go on for awhile. There are loads of characters, all magnificent. Except maybe the super super ladies.
I have to admit: I wanted to read this from the moment I got it. However, I really didn't know what I was getting when I opened it. I wish every book I picked up blew me away like this one. Barnes may like writing better, and I sure am giving those a chance, but I hope he has another YA in him. If all he gives us is TALES OF THE MADMAN UNDERGROUND, I will be satisfied. Step into Karl's shoes for a week. You won't want to take them off when you turn the last page.
Seriously, the cover picture will take you to Amazon, where you can pre-order it. I must admit that, I haven't finish the entire book, however, I must take time reading it a long. I also would recommend this book to others and take a look at it.
Cheers
Lul
No comments:
Post a Comment